Sunday, February 8, 2015

Silver From Mexico

In addition to my passion for Navajo Indian Jewelry, I love Mexican silver. Some of my favorite pieces of vintage jewelry came from Taxco, Mexico.

Since I live very close to the Mexican border, I have the opportunity to purchase many pieces and you know that I cannot resist.

My favorite piece is this sterling silver and amethyst bracelet made in Taxco by Antonio Pineda.

This bracelet was made by Pedro Castillo. It's lovely on.

This vintage bracelet was made by Bernice Goodspeed and is set with turquoise. 

It's nice to collect silver from the famous masters of silversmithing, but I love the artful pieces that I find that were made by unknown smiths as well. 

Carved masks or masquettes have been popular for decades. They are carved of various stones with onyx being very popular. This is a very early sterling silver panel bracelet with Mexican jade masks. 



Very dramatic sterling silver ring set with genuine grape amethyst. Nice early example. 



Here is another mask bracelet set with sheen obsidian masks. Nice sterling silver piece with a 
Modernistic design. 





This was inspired by a famous design by William Spratling. The amethyst is hand carved and the design is a friendship theme. This bracelet is heavy and well made. 


Love-birds are a very popular theme with Mexican silver artists. I have a hard time finding pieces for they are very coveted. This little bracelet is sterling silver and quite sweet. 


If you love vintage Mexican and Taxco sterling silver jewelry. please check my stores often. I usually list fresh finds every day. 

Like this bracelet listed today. 









No comments: